Make your blog into a brand you love by learning the 10 key elements that successful blogging pulls from magazine publishing.
P.s. This is a completely free + self-paced workshop you can take!
The new, revamped version of this workshop is even more epic in helping you with your blogging goals. There are more exercises, more tips, and more specific actions you can take.
We will go deeper into each of the 10 elements of publishing an amazing magazine that when applied to your blog, can make it grow like crazy. Check out the details on each of the sections below, and know that we (a professional magazine publisher + full-time blogger, plus a digital nomad + photographer) have packed in years of trial and error and experience to develop this material so that you can build or refresh your blog in ways that will grow your audience and your ability to start or continue doing the work you love.
2. Cover Photos
Just as people decide whether or not to open a magazine by what's on the cover, your main blog post images (that go with each post you create) help communicate value and excitement to your audience. In this section, you will get:
- The true purpose of cover photos in the blog world
- The 5 key elements of click-worthy blog post images
- The 5 types of blog post images you can create
- 3 seriously essential strategies for blog post images that can increase your traffic
- Workbook sheets and adult homework to help you create on-brand blog images
We will explore what makes an effective logo (which is the "masthead" of a magazine) as well as what should go into other identifying marks your brand will come to be known by. You'll get:
- What a masthead truly is and the purpose it serves
- The 3 main types of mastheads for online brands
- Workbook pages to help you plan and design a masthead to fit your brand
- Details on how to protect your masthead (you know . . . from copycats)
- Adult homework to inspire you for your masthead whether you DIY or hire for it
We will explore content tips for freelancers, coaches, online shop owners, infopreneurs, and more. You will also learn what makes your blog content truly share-worthy. We are getting into:
- how to brain dump and brainstorm epic content ideas
- the types of content that you can develop as a coach, boutique owner, infopreneur, or freelancer
- the 3 content rules from magazine publishing (that I wish everyone knew) that will transform your blog
Learn some tried + true ways you can entice your readers (without misleading them) through your post titles. We will go through:
- How to create engaging titles
- 5 types of effective blog post titles
- One essential key to building reader trust with blog post titles
- 63 title formulas that actually work
There are many graphics that make up your brand other than your logo, and there are multiple graphic templates and elements you can build into your content to enhance its quality. You will get/learn:
- 12 types of graphics you can use to grow your blog brand now
- Examples of effective graphics
6. ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHY
We'll be talking about the logistics and benefits of getting great original photography for your blog, Instagram posts, and more. We're getting into:
- Why incorporating original photography into your blog matters so much
- Essential tips for you to start getting great photos for your blog brand
- Some of the secrets to how your hosts have grown their Instagram accounts
This section is all about what you can do to make your blog more professional. You will learn:
- The 4 types of editing that will improve your blog articles
- Tips for hiring professional editors when necessary
We'll talk about how to establish a proper style guide of your text and other elements that will keep readers engaged and make your posts look more appealing and professional. You will learn and receive:
- A style guide checklist with 11 essential items for your blog post
- 5 key elements to consider using in your formatting
- A quick overview of some unique formatting techniques to enhance your blog posts and written content visually
10. Copy + Voice
You will receive "brand voice" exercises to help you develop and evolve your writing, and you will learn some top rules of effective web copy. We're talking:
- 6 essential tips for refining the way you speak to your audience
- Voice exercises to help you get more comfortable writing the way that you speak
9. Editorial calendar
Learn the "12-month and 2-month approach" many magazine publishers take that you can use to plan out your editorial content effectively. You'll feel much more focused and capable of reaching your brand goals with your full editorial calendar in place. We'll cover:
- Compelling reason to create a schedule for your content
- An easy-to-implement strategy to plan a year’s worth of content
Who is "blog like a mag" for?
Blog Like a Mag is for you (1) if you are just starting a blog and really, really want to create something that matters and gets noticed, plus something that can be monetized in the future, or (2) if you have been blogging for a while and you want to refresh your blog and figure out what isn't working or why it's not getting the traffic or readership you expected.
Hi, I'm Regina. And I'll be your main tour guide through Blog Like a Mag. I've been blogging for several years on multiple blogs, so I've been through all the trial and error imaginable.
But, I noticed something epic a couple years ago--the first blog I took incredibly seriously, and applied several concepts I learned as a magazine publisher to, was the first blog to get sponsorship offers, get over one million visitors, and employ other people full time. At byRegina.com, I create actionable content for creatives, sell courses and books, and am now partnering with a few key creative brands to bring in-person events to locations around the world.
All of the concepts I used to grow my blog stem from my time publishing a local Austin magazine, my time as a graphic designer and web person, and now as a magazine creator and publisher with TheIndependent.press. I will be sharing truly useful information, tips, + brand activities during this live training, and I hope to see you there!
Hey, I'm Verick, and I kind of hate bios but Regina says I need one so . . .
Like some of you, I am new to the world of blogging. I got an MBA and spent some time working for a large tech company before deciding to take the plunge and pursue my passions as an entrepreneur.
Now I am building a lifestyle brand focused on travel, photography, and creating location independent businesses. In the process of building my brand, I've gotten really excited about beautiful aesthetics and the power of Instagram. I've been practicing lifestyle photography, learning the power of user-generated content, and building my Instagram following to over 16,000 people (@BlackTieNomad). I'm here to share with you what I've learned, and also to learn from you. I'll be one of your guides on original photography and visuals during Blog Like a Mag.